I studied business writing while pursuing my bachelor’s degree at Loyola Chicago. By the time I completed Paralegal Certification there a few years later, I had worked under 4 lawyers. I saw how important clear and concise language can be, especially for communications in legal settings.
I have done my best to develop a memo format that standardizes clear and concise writing.
Below is a demonstration of best practices taught and observed.
Ref. No. 170427-26
April 27, 2017
To: Atticus Finch, JD, Supervising Attorney
From: Dan Kleinman, Entry Level Paralegal
RE: Latest Amendment Draft, Open items
Attached are the drafted documents requested. I have summarized the supporting evidence contained therein and have noted items that are necessary.
- Minutes of Conference with Client
- Current Draft of Amendment
- Previous Draft of Amendment
Based on the information provided, the following has been applied:
- The date of the document and date of execution is updated to current terms: December 15, 2017
- The principal amount is listed as referenced, $300,000
- The maturity date is listed as referenced: December 15, 2021
Based on the information provided, these further items are necessary:
- $250 filing fee: filing on May 10, 2017